jundolor

Saturday, April 18, 2009

The 7 steps of embedding youtube videos in Joomla!

One of my favorite movie titles from way back was "The 7 Steps of Shaolin". I didn't get to see the movie, but I sure was amused by the title. I suppose the plot would have been a novice undergoing 7 intense steps to become a Shaolin Kung-Fu master.

I was playing around with Joomla! 1.5 when I chanced upon an online tutorial on how to embed youtube video in Joomla! However, the tutorial is only applicable for the previous Joomla! version (1.x).

After much tinkering around, I finally discovered how to place youtube videos in Joomla! 1.5 articles. I've summarized them in 7 easy steps to show you on how to do this:

Step 1: Browse the youtube website for the video you want to embed.



Step 2: Look for the Embed field box, and highlight the entire text

Step 3: Copy the Embed text:


Step 4: Login to the administration of your Joomla! website, and view the article list (Pull down the Content menu and select Article Manager). Click to edit the article where the youtube video will play.


Step 5: The editor for the article is displayed. Click the "Edit HTML Source". (Note: I've set the Display on Front Page to "yes").

Step 6: The HTML Source Editor for the article is displayed. Now paste the copied Embed text from youtube, and click the Update button, found at the bottom of the editor.
Step 7: We are now back at the article editor. The final step, click "Save" button.

That completes the 7 steps! We are now ready to view the video on the Joomla! website. As we browse the website, we see the youtube video, ready to play. Enjoy watching ^------^

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Such a good guideline! But it just didn't work for me. I just get a white square with a red cross (like when an image is missing), and that is it.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Phoenix Media said...

Wont work for me either. I get the same result a white square with a red cross

10:11 AM  
Blogger Thomas said...

It didn't work for me either, at first. But after a little messing around I discovered something. When you click on embed, you get this could with iframe tags. Apparently this is not supported by Joomla 1.5.
All you have to do is check this box that says "use old embed code" (or something similar, because it's in Dutch with me). Then you get the old source code that starts with object width ... Paste this code into the html source code of your joomla article, and there you go :)

11:22 AM  
Blogger Alesc Xandir said...

YES! It does work after you select the "Use OLD embed cod"
THANK YOU ALL!
GRATE Tutorial!

4:19 AM  
Blogger Bruce said...

note that the old embedded code seems to work with the 4:3 ratio videos, while youtube now prefers 16:9 for HD vids. YOu may need to recalculate a custom size and see if it works for you ...

8:13 PM  
Blogger Bruce said...

note that the old embedded code seems to work with the 4:3 ratio videos, while youtube now prefers 16:9 for HD vids. YOu may need to recalculate a custom size and see if it works for you ...

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home